Out of Daylight

And just like that, winter descends, great beast that she is. (Is winter considered a he or she? It feels like a her this time around. Maybe it just depends on the year.) We've had several days, two weeks, of below freezing weather. When it got to 27°F people were commenting about the heat wave.

But that's just how it is. Warm summer, cold and sometimes bitter winters. Payment for long days of sunshine is with long nights of dark.

I like darkness.

Sometimes.

Sometimes I shiver and shudder in the dark, repeat Psalm 23 and walk as quickly as I can without running, but other times there is a delicious thrill to the dark. The thought of things just beyond sight.

Some nights, rare nights, there is an electricity that fills you up. Maybe such a night wakes the sleeping thing in us all. Makes the wild stir within us and rise up for a moment, when all clarity and cunning belong to you. For moments. Then gone and leaving you to feel normal again, under the wide arc of stars. With naught but a memory.

Oh, yes. There are some nights worth venturing out in.

And I go out every night. With the dog. So he can pee.

And if I can stand on the other end of the leash while he's doing his thing and look into the darkness just outside the circle of light and safety and feel that wildness stirring, well, I'm all the better for it.

Or, you know, I could be a lunatic.

I am grateful today for a lot of things. I cannot discern and specify one at the moment, but in the interest of brevity, I will say I am thankful for the safety net of stars and moon.

Until next time,

No comments :

Post a Comment?