Fried Squash

Have you ever heard of fried squash? Not squash blossoms, but the squash itself? I don't know why, but some people like fried stuffed squash blossoms. Personally, they gross me out. But that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about thin slices of squash dredged in flour, salt and pepper, and then fried in the pan.

Mhmmm... my mouth waters just thinking about them.

They were a summer time treat when we were little kids, and remain pretty much the same now. Nearly everyone in my family is a fan. But I've encountered quite a few people lately who have no idea what fried squash even is. This is a deeply unsettling trend and needs to be stopped.

So, I'm here to share!

Traditionally, yellow summer squash is what we used, and is what we continue to use, but I'm sure any squash will do as long as it isn't overly sweet.

So, go pick some fresh yellow squash and bring it inside, 'cause things are about to get delicious!


Fried Squash
- Reserved bacon drippings
- 1 yellow summer squash, about 1 pound
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper

Set a pan on medium heat and add the bacon drippings.

While fat is heating, thinly slice (1/2 inch or less) squash and set them aside. Then mix together the flour, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.

Dredge each slice through the flour mixture, coating both sides. Place coated slices directly into the frying pan. They should sizzle. Continue until all the slices are in the pan without overlapping. Cook them in shifts if you have to; crowding increases the time it takes them to cook. Flip as they become golden brown on the bottom. Done when golden on both sides. Remove from pan and set on paper towel lined plate.

Eat them hot! They're almost no good when cool.

P.S. There's a lot of different fats you can try when you fry, but my favorite for this application is bacon drippings. Every time we fry bacon, we pour the leftover fat into a glass jar and keep it in the fridge. We use it for a lot of things, including frying, because it has a high smoke point. Bacon drippings are a form of flavored lard, and lard is one of the healthiest fats out there. (Link to a super fantastic article by one of my favorite health food bloggers, I encourage you to read it if you're feeling skeptical!) We're incorporating it bit by bit into our lives and kicking Crisco out!.

Today I'm grateful for the support of a small, loving community. I went to the high school graduation today and was moved to tears plenty of times.

Until next time,

No comments :

Post a Comment?