Ewe Saving

I am seriously in love with going to school!

Sure, it costs, but really, how many people get to go to school and play with pretty much any animal they want? Vet tech program for the win!

I'm taking a large animal care course this semester and part of the course is a three hour lab once a week in which we go to the school's barn and learn. This week we did cow restraints: haltering, nose leads, casting, tail jacking, and tail twisting. Our girls are pretty well behaved and stand for most of what we do, but they didn't much like casting. We have one who is expected to calve any day and I can't wait to meet the new little one!


After lab ended this past week, the farm manager dismissed us for the day. I hung around and talked to one of the instructors who is also a friend. The farm manager came over and asked her to help him with a sheep with a prolapsed uterus. He had something called a Ewe Saver in his hands and gave it to her along with some thin rope and went to get the rest of the supplies.

My teacher looked at me and said, "Would you like to come see us replace a prolapsed uterus?" You can bet I practically danced a yes!

So we drove over to the sheep shed and isolated the poor ewe. We got her haltered and tied to part of the hay manger. Then the farm manager met us and handed us a bag of sterile saline. We washed her uterus off and then he carefully and gently worked it back in. (He had the gloves, not us.) It took maybe ten minutes because she struggled and grunted and groaned and protested. I'm sure it hurt, but as with most things animal medicine related, it was for the best.

He inserted the ewe saver and tied it with the ropes and bam she was all better. She also got a nice big dose of antibiotic to stave off infection.

Poor sheep, but she'll be okay. I thought the whole thing was awesome! My first real experience with farm animal medicine, and it was wonderful.

Until next time,

1 comment :

  1. What a neat experience! I didn't know you were going to school to become a vet tech! That's so neat! :D
    My sister-in-law and her husband had a ewe with a prolapse last year. They got my brother and his girlfriend to come over and help. My bro for extra strong arms, and his girlfriend (who's a nurse/midwife) to stitch the ewe up after the uterus was back in so it wouldn't come out again. I didn't get to go along, but I heard it was pretty interesting. I can't remember if the ewe got better or not. The joys of farm life. ;)

    ReplyDelete